Who doesn't love guacamole? This post is dedicated entirely to the beloved green, creamy dip.
Last weekend I decided to make a GIANT bowl of the stuff in hopes that it would stay with me throughout the week. Nope. It hardly lasted 24 hours... The big question though was how to eat it without the not-so-good for you tortilla chip. Avocados are actually a very good source of healthy fats, vitamins and
minerals. When prepared and eaten in absence of other ingredients that
negatively impact our health, (i.e. corn, sugar), this can be considered
a perfectly healthty, paleo-approved food! Below you will find 7 ways to eat guac without the traditional tortilla chip. Why 7? Because it's my lucky number of course!
7-Ways to Eat Guacamole Without a Tortilla Chip:
1. (My preferred method) Endive. Endive is sort of like lettuce, but very crunchy and perfectly shaped for scooping. look for it next time at the grocery store and try it!
2. Put it on top of your scrambled eggs
3. Mix it with tuna or shredded chicken
4. Use it a condiment for your grass-fed burger (no bun!)
5. Put it in your lettuce-leaf beef or fish tacos
6. Use any and all vegetables for scooping: jicima, sarrot chips, snap peas...
7. Wrap it up in a clean lunch meat
Classic Guacamole Recipe:
Guac is pretty easy to make and most people already have an established favorite recipe, but for those of you who have never made it on your own I will provide you with my very own classic guacamole recipe. There are other fun ways to spice it up, like with BBQ or bacon, but I usually prefer it in it's traditional form.
1 Medium yellow onion
2-3 red tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper
1. Slice all avocados in half and remove seeds, then scoop out avocado meat into large mixing bowl.
2. Use a fork to mash up the avocado meat
3. Chop onion, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic (I like a chunkier guacamole so I chop the tomatoes a bit larger than the onion, etc. Garlic should be finely chopped)
4. Mix and mash all vegetables in the bowl with the avocado meat.
5. Squeeze fresh lemon and mix (this is a natural preservative)
6. Add salt and pepper to taste